CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Swimming with the Fishes

I grew up in Southern California. Swimming was a part of life there. I remember fondly the afternoons spent at the beach as a little girl with my mom, sister, Mrs K and Robynn. My last summer spent in California I had just turned 16 and could drive. We would head down to the beach and spend a few hours. Stop at Kerri's (thanks for moving to the beach) to shower and get ready for work and then make it to work by 5pm. We lived an hour away from the beach but it was worth the drive. I miss the beach.

The pool is the next best thing to the beach. And I've passed onto my children my love for water and the sun. The girls had a Swim Meet this morning. They have been learning so much being on Swim Team. They aren't the fastest swimmers, but they don't give up. Even when it was freezing those first two weeks of June they never complained about going, they did request Hot Chocolate afterwards but they didn't complain.

Here is Jessica on her final lap for her 50 meter freestyle. She was sneaking in a longer breath!



And Ashley finishing her 25 m backstroke. She bonked her wrist pretty good at the end.
Now you would think after being at the pool for 2 hours this morning they would be done being wet. But they were all excited when I suggested we go back when the Scera Pool opened in the afternoon. I bought a punch pass this summer and we have been going at least once a week. If only they had a season pass where you could get in unlimited!
John is the one that has surprised me this summer. He has always been pretty hesitant when it came to the pool. But he has really enjoyed it this year. He started swim lessons yesterday and I'm amazed. He had no fear when we went back this afternoon. Look at his form as he gets ready to show me how he can swim. He is going all the way under the water and when he remembers to kick he actually moves! I'll probably regret this by the end of the week when we end up at the Doctor because of an ear infection.

So we spent another 3 1/2 hours at the pool and it was wonderful. My sister is here from Arizona so we brought her two oldest with us. They are the two without tans (go figure??). I'm loving it because I actually get to rest and read by the side of the pool for most of the time this summer, yea! Though I do think my back may have gotten burnt today, every time I go to scratch it hurts, oops.

4 comments:

Becky said...

Hey Christine! Omagosh, I'm so glad you found my blog! Yours is so cute! Too funny that all it took was seeing my sonic cups to know exactly who it belonged to!
Becky

Erin said...

I was a part of the fish club too when I was growing up! Everyone else was out of the pool and I would stay till my skin pruned off. Love it!!

What a fun day!

Lori said...

i miss the ocean too! the smell of it just breathes new life into me. i grew up with the cooler northern beaches but we were always there.

have a great day. good job jess and ashley and john!

Kyleen and Brent said...

Sounds like a lot of fun! And those Pumpkin Bars look yummy! Have fun with Hannah Montana tonight!