CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Thoughts of the Week

John's lesson learned this week -- You can't climb into the bottom drawer of your dresser AND open the top drawers of your dresser . . . it all comes tumbling down. 

It also became my bad parenting moment of the week.  The other morning I was in the laundry room (okay laundry hall) hanging up clothes with both the washer and dryer going when I start to hear John scream from his bedroom.  Have you heard the story about the boy who cryed wolf?  Well I didn't go running to say the least.  John's normal voice is pretty much a scream.  I could hear him calling for his sisters who were in their bedroom downstairs and I assumed they were playing some game with yelling through the furnace vents.  Yes they really do have toys, but they still come up with these games on their own. 

Anyways, I finally went to put away clothes in the bedrooms about the time Ashley decided to find out why John was yelling.  We both walked in to see John in the bottom dresser drawer trying to hold up the dresser so it would not crush him.  Now this is not our normal pressed wood cheap dresser.  This is the one and only dresser in the entire house that is made of REAL solid wood.  For the last 10 years in the townhouse it was always bolted to the wall so the kids could not get hurt.  No one EVER tried to climb into it.  After the move we figured the kids were now old enough and Mark's phoebia of putting holes in a brand new painted wall made it so we did not child proof it to the wall, Oops.  The moment defintely sobered me quickly because had he been two years younger or a little smaller I realize he could have easily been crushed by the dresser.  So please, please, please get those little kits at the store to bolt your dressers and bookshelves to the wall, especially if you have BOYS!

Anyone else feel like doing nothing today???  This is the second time this week I've felt like this.  Monday I opted to spend the afternoon at the pool so I didn't have to feel guilty about doing nothing.  But sadly, we have no punches left on our Scera Pool Punch Card.  I loved that card, I love swimming and I love getting tan (remind me of that in a few years when I have skin cancer!) 

But today the school pants that need hemming are starring me down, so I guess if I want to enjoy having the girls back in school next week I'd better do something.  Two weeks after that all THREE will be in school in the mornings, yippee!  Maybe that is enough motivation to get me in the shower and get me moving.

Have a GREAT Day!!!

4 comments:

Lori said...

Oh dear! I am so glad John is okay! Scary! But I can see how you weren't in a hurry to check on him...cuz you know how kids can be.

yes i too truly want to do nothing today...but alas, my boss would not be happy. So I must plod along and try to be creative.

Tonight will be crazy at the temple! Two new sisters coming. Two sisters returning. and my regular 4 trainees and keeping track of them too.

I know it will all work out...but at the moment I am feeling a little stressed.

Anonymous said...

How scary!! I'm glad he's okay. I've never heard of the kits to bolt your dresser to the wall- where do you get it?

I too feel like doing nothing, yet my calendar is begging to have shows on it. I guess I better get on the phone!! Love ya

I Choose Happiness said...

Thanks for the heads up. My first two kids weren't really into the climbing thing, but the youngest, Dayne, is into everything. I'll have to get those kits - if I don't it will be a repeat of your experience (including the crying wolf thing - Dayne's normal voice is a scream too!).

Janae said...

I'm glad that John is okay. What was he trying to do when he climbed into the dresser drawer? I haven't felt like doing anything all week long. I guess it's the end of summer blues.