After about six years of some pretty tough and responsible callings I was excited to be moving into a new ward where no one knew what we could and could not do. When the Primary President was the first one to stop by our house and meet me I got a little worried. And a few weeks later Mark and I were both called to teach the Sunbeams (3 year olds). I quickly learned that is the best spot in Primary. Between snacks, bathroom breaks, coloring time and drinking foutain breaks the time went really fast. And I figured since Primary wasn't really my thing I'd be in there for years to come until I learned what I should really be doing! So I just decided I'd like it.
I got a little more worried when they switched me to teach the 8 & 9 year old class (Ashley's group). Mark taught the 10 & 11 year old boys for a few months before being called as a Counselor in the Elder's Quroum. But after a few weeks I started getting the hang of how to teach the kids and fill the time. For the most part they have been really good. A week ago I wrapped up my lesson and it went so well. The kids were great and I felt like they really learned. And I've loved having a reason to study the Book of Mormon better and getting to know those stories better.
And along with teaching Primary I've had the chance to do Activity Days with the 8 - 11 year old girls during the week twice a month. Both Jessica and Ashley were in the group and they have loved helping get things ready.
So I was shocked when after class last Sunday Mark said a Bishopric member wanted to talk with us. I had no clue why. I thought it was odd they wanted to see us in person if they were only going to ask us to talk or something. They really didn't want to add a third calling to my plate, did they??? And Mark would not get pulled out of the Elder's Quroum???
Nope, I'm back in Relief Society and this time as the Education Counselor. I'm excited to be able to get to know more sisters in the ward, but I can honestly say I'm sad to be leaving Primary. It didn't help that my girls had tears in their eyes when they found out I wouldn't be teaching them anymore. And my co-teacher said she was really sad when they announced the new changes on Sunday too. I'm so glad I've had almost a year in Primary to discover it isn't the big bad experience I thought it would be. I feel like a traitor to be leaving them. But I guess that is what The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is all about -- changes, serving and growing.

9 comments:
I love hearing stories like this...I didn't want to serve in the primary until these last few years that I am serving now.. I love it, it has been such a neat experience. You will do great as the Ed. Counc. also!
Oh, and I really like the new look of your blog!
Christine, I am sorry that you have to leave the kids. Those Primary callings really get you attached to those little people.
That is so sweet that the kids were so sad about you leaving. Along with the Primary President. But I can see why that would be.
You are great with whatever calling you have.
Nice look on your blog.
I'm just like your girls--I have had tears in my eyes too! I have loved having you as Andrew's teacher and I can't even begin to think about what I'm going to do without you there in Primary (can you say panic attack)? Thank you so much for everything you have done in Primary, I've been so impressed with you and I really wish you could have stayed there forever. However, for all my wishing, I also knew that they would take you from me as soon as they could--you're too good just to stay in one place :( We'll miss you!
I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU TO COME TO RELIEF SOCIETY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was just thrilled when you were put in because that means I'll have a chance to get to know you better and to learn from your great insights. I have missed that!
I find that once you get comfortable in your calling that is when they change you!! Have fun in RS. Your sisters will be richly blessed with your talents you have to share with them.
Christine--so nice to hear you are going to miss Primary. I've been in it for three years and LOVED it. We love having teachers like you who are dedicated and help the kids learn spiritually.
I must admit though that the last few weeks, I've really had an itch to go to Relief Society and Gospel Doctrine. I want to be taught.
You will be FABULOUS!!! I am so excited to work and learn from all of you guys! Yippee!!
Thank you so much for loving your primary calling! I'm the Primary President in my ward, and we are having a real problem with people not being happy in their callings... I'm totally at a loss as to what to do to get them to love it. :(
Post a Comment