Okay, I don't think it is any secret that we are not an athletic family. Both Mark and I were never good at sports, Surprise! We try to encourage the kids, but I know our example doesn't help.
So last year when Ashley came home from school and said she wanted to run the 1 mile race at BYU we had our doubts. But we wanted to support her, so we signed her up. She ran the race and when I saw her coming down the last bit I was in tears because I could tell it was so much harder than she thought it would be, but she made it. My tiny little girl ran the whole mile! I thought that would probably cure her from ever wanting to run again.
Surprise! When they sent the info home again this year for the BYU Triple Crown Elementary School Race she was ready and excited to do it again. It helps that her best friend, Aleena is a really good runner and was doing it also. Ashley actually practiced this year and was a little more prepared.
Last week was the big day! Wednesday, September 24th Ashley was excited!
So last year when Ashley came home from school and said she wanted to run the 1 mile race at BYU we had our doubts. But we wanted to support her, so we signed her up. She ran the race and when I saw her coming down the last bit I was in tears because I could tell it was so much harder than she thought it would be, but she made it. My tiny little girl ran the whole mile! I thought that would probably cure her from ever wanting to run again.
Surprise! When they sent the info home again this year for the BYU Triple Crown Elementary School Race she was ready and excited to do it again. It helps that her best friend, Aleena is a really good runner and was doing it also. Ashley actually practiced this year and was a little more prepared.
Last week was the big day! Wednesday, September 24th Ashley was excited!
Cosmo even came out to get the kids excited!
On your mark, get set . . . Ashley is ready to go with her friend, Aleena, on the right in orange and her third cousin, (I think, I get lost in the generations) Glena, in red shorts on the left. We are so excited that Glena and Ashley are in the same class together this year.
The race is almost over and she is just getting ready to enter the track. I may have embarrassed her with all my screaming to encourage her!
And she came in 15 out of 17 girls in her age group, way to go girl!
And because of her efforts her school took #1 overall for the entire race!
We are so proud of our little runner!






7 comments:
Good job, Ashley!!!! Keep it up! I am so proud of you too!
Ashley, way to go! Keep running!
You better watch out. Running is quite addicting. I miss running so much! Tell her I'm way jealous that she got to run in a fun race. Keep it up!
Wow Ashley great job! That's really hard work. Keep it up!
Good job Ashley! That is awesome! I can't believe you got to meet Cosmo too - What a day!
That is awesome!! I remember when I ran my first mile since h.s., I felt like Rocky! She is a go getter already!!
Way to go Ashley! Andrew will be so jealous--he wanted to do it so bad but he had a soccer game that night. And if you ask me, anyone who can run a mile is amazing!
Post a Comment