CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, June 9, 2008

Cookbook Software


What started out as a way to get rid of all my recipe clutter turned into a Christmas project in 1998. I was tired of all the loose recipes flying around my recipe cupboard and started typing them up. Ten years ago our family budget was really tight so I decided to make a recipe book for my Mom and Sisters that year for gifts. They loved it and even my In-Laws loved it even though it was mostly recipes from my family since we had only been married 2 years. I created the cookbook using WordPerfect. It was a lot of manual work, but I knew the software well enough I was able to make it do what I wanted it to do.

For the last couple of years I've been wanting to update that cookbook. My copy is trashed and my recipe clutter has increased ten fold! (Mark would say 100 fold) I've searched for basic software to make the cookbook but have never found any I like. All the ones I found were too complex or I had to have that company publish it and then you have to order 1000 copies.

This last week I think I finally found my solution! Once again I did a Google Search and this time found a fairly new company called The Cookbook People. It will allow me to cut and paste the recipes I already have typed up and add to those recipes. I can then print it at home and take it to the local copier to copy and bind. And the software is only $29.95. I even e-mailed them with a few questions and they not only replied, the developer called me to discuss my ideas. Made me feel important!

I'm now waiting until their next software release comes out in the next couple of weeks before I purchase it. But I thought I'd throw this out into cyberspace and see if someone knows of another software I should be looking at? Does anyone have experience in printing your own basic cookbooks? I don't want fancy hard bound stuff, just a basic family cookbook of tried and true recipes. But I want the software to categorize the recipes and put them alphabetically with at least a Table of Contents.

6 comments:

Lori said...

Good for you for doing a cookbook with your 100-fold recipes! sounds like a great idea!

Erin said...

You should take orders from all of us and I'm sure you'd have 100 copies to order... I want to order one for sure! Seriously!! Keep me posted!

PS... we had our Cafe Rio night and it was INCREDIBLE!!! I even went to Costa Vida and got the cute little tins to eat them from. Loved it!

Any chance you have the recipe for their yummy fajita steak? I am a steak addict! I love all the flavor they add!

Christine said...

Erin -- I may just use it as the neighbor gift for Christmas this year, who knows.

Glad your Cafe Rio night turned out good. I used that salad dressing on everything since we had some left over. Really liked it with the fettuchini.

Tried Googling for the steak recipe, no luck, sorry!

Janae said...

What a great idea! You have so many good recipes that we all would love a copy of them. I sent Seth your chicken enchillada recipe along with all the ingredients I could and money to buy the rest. He just got the package, so he hasn't made them yet, but I know that he will love them.

Tina said...

A friend gave me a cookbook she put together for her ward and I love it. ON the back page it has this info on it...www.morriscookbooks.com, hard bound.. it is not software, but they will print it.. hope this helps.

Adam and Christine said...

Christine that is such a fun idea. I really need to do something like that because of course being a FACS Teacher, I have alot of recipes and it is hard to keep all the good ones together.

Also it was great to see you today.