CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, June 19, 2008

And We Were Counted Among the Foolish

Today has been one of those days. By the time the kids and I walked out the door for Swim Team and Day Camp at 9:30 am I was ready to strangle them. Why does yes mean no and no mean yes to them? Do they think they are playing Password and needing to answer with the opposite? Must they argue with each other about EVERYTHING! Once I dropped everyone off at their respective activities it was definitely a Diet Coke morning. And I was so thankful for a two hour break. But the fact I turned into a screaming lunatic made me feel even worse knowing Mark and I were planning on going to the Temple this evening.

Things seemed to calm down after everyones activities. And I had a few minutes to do Boxing on my mom's Wii. The kids were even impressed with my KO (knock out). Though the afternoon did get away from me and by the time Mark got home and my mom stopped to pick up the kids I still wasn't dressed and ready to go. So I rushed to get ready and out the door we headed. Yea, we were going to make it! I should have known better.


After a nice drive to the Temple we even got a close parking spot. I was worried it would be really busy since the Temple had been closed for three weeks. So at the recommend desk the nice man smiled and made a joke with me about my recommend holder being old. It is my original holder that had a bar code on the holder. If you don't know what I'm talking about you are TOO young! So once I'm through I turn around and realize Mark is now questioning the man at the desk. OH MY GOSH, this isn't happening to US!!! How could Mark's recommend have been expired and mine not? So they rescan mine and yep, I'm expired too! They had expired three weeks ago!!!!! I've been a Temple Recommend holder for 18 years and never let it expire before.

Knowing I was let through with it being expired made me feel not AS foolish. I guess because when they reissued recommends with the new bar code system it felt like we had gotten a new one neither Mark nor I even considered looking at the date to see when we needed to renew them. Of course by now there is a group of people waiting to go through and we have to

turn around and walk back through the group with heads hung low. It was all I could do not to burst into tears immediately. I felt like I had walked up to the pearly gates and been told "so sorry, try again next time." It really felt like we were part of the five virgins with no oil in our lamps. I felt terrible. Mark did his best to make me feel better. I'm so glad we weren't there for someone's wedding and realizing we had messed up. But someone did not get there work done tonight because we were not prepared, ugh.

I guess we'll be visiting the Bishopric and Stake Presidency sooner rather than later.

In an attempt to redeem the night we headed to dinner instead. I think we got behind every slow driver there was in American Fork. Mark wanted to go to Chilis, but I would not let him because we had a gift certificate sitting at home for Chilis (I promise Cynthia we are going to use it soon). So we landed at Applebees. Dinner was good, but was a little downer when a patron fell and broke her hip outside the restaurant. After picking up the children from Mom's house Mark asked what that thing was laying in the driveway, surprise! He just ran over his own suit coat which just got back from the dry cleaners. Please help brush off the tire marks when you see him on Sunday.

Here is hoping tomorrow is better!

7 comments:

Kyleen and Brent said...

Rough day! I am really sorry and so sorry that I am a bad sister-in-law and didn't call to wish Mark a Happy Father's Day! Happy belated Father's Day Mark! And to John Happy Birthday buddy! I have been a huge slacker lately, I'm sorry!

Erin said...

Gosh, you just reminded me that ours expire... SOON!!! We may see you at that interview!

What a day! I'm so sorry! Things can only get better tomorrow!

Wii boxing ALWAYS makes me feel better! Good job on your KO! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a day for you. I had a similar experience at the temple and know the feeling when you are turned away. Years ago we were going to the Provo temple on a Saturday and got there just a few minutes late. They had shut the doors and we couldn't get in.

I know you will have a better day today!! (BTW- we all yell at our kids!!)

Cass said...

You make me laugh! I love reading your stories! We almost did the exact same thing. Lucky for me, our best friends were married the day after we were and she mentioned they were getting their recommends renewed (just a few weeks ago, the end of May.) I couldn't figure out why they would go and we wouldn't have to, since we've always had to do it together. Then I looked at my recommend and realized we DID have to go. I thought the same thing as you since we had just gone in for the new bar code last fall! So, we went in that same evening (the last Tuesday of May!)

So sorry about your bad day! Hope you don't have another one like it too soon!

Cass said...

You make me laugh! I love reading your stories! We almost did the exact same thing. Lucky for me, our best friends were married the day after we were and she mentioned they were getting their recommends renewed (just a few weeks ago, the end of May.) I couldn't figure out why they would go and we wouldn't have to, since we've always had to do it together. Then I looked at my recommend and realized we DID have to go. I thought the same thing as you since we had just gone in for the new bar code last fall! So, we went in that same evening (the last Tuesday of May!)

So sorry about your bad day! Hope you don't have another one like it too soon!

Tina said...

I needed to hear this, glad I'm still up to read it. It's good to know that I'm not the only one that is needing a break from my kids sometimes!

Nat said...

I am SOOO glad that I am not the only one whose children are fighting about EVERYTHING! I have been having a diet coke morning WEEK!