I'm not sure how mentioning to my Mom that if her expert gardener friend had any extra tomatoes
I would like some turned into this
and this
and this
and this
Yikes!!!
But I now have a freezer full of my favorite homemade Marinara Sauce. I made eight batches of this stuff in two days. Needless to say my kitchen floor is a little sticky. My friend Jeanne shared this recipe with me a few years ago and normally I don't justify all this cooking for something I can get on sale at 75 cents a can, but this is worth it. So if you have a few tomatoes you don't know what to do with, enjoy!
Marinara Sauce
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 medium yellow onion, finally chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
5 lbs fresh plum tomatoes, chopped (about 8 cups) (though I had juicer tomatoes so I cut back on the juice)
2 cups tomato juice
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup slivered fresh basil or minced parsley (or a combo of both)
3/4 cup tomato paste
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp thyme
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (add more if you like it hot)
In large pot heat oil over moderate heat. Add onions and garlic and saute 5 minutes or until tender. Add everything else and bring to a full boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Uncover and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove bay leaf and enjoy. I add an extra step and let it cool and then process it in the blender so there are no chunks. If you have a family that doesn't mind a few chunks then an immersion blender will work to get it smaller. If you want it thicker then add more tomato paste. Package it in ziplock bags and store in freezer.
I think two days later my house still smells like onions and garlic, but it was worth it.





6 comments:
Way to go, homemaker queen!
didn't you love conference??? so many good things!
When I was really little my mom used to can Grape juice. The only reason why I'm telling you this is because your story reminded me of canning and because I want you to be safe! She accidently knocked the pan over and it spilled down her legs. Long Story made short, my mom was bed ridden and had severe burns all over her legs. (and she had little kids to take care of). So, ever since then canning has freaked me out. Be Safe.
Yum-o-la! I am SO incredibly impressed! Way to go! I wish I was that crafty... let me know if you start your own little business, I will be first in line! I'm suddenly caving spaghetti!!
Wow, I'm hungry. Look at you, I love this.
Are you going to put a cookbook together still? I want one!
As always, thanks for the recipe. I've made several batches of salsa with the tomatoes from our garden, but maybe I'll have to try this recipe for some of the remaining tomatoes.
Yum! We love pasta at our house so this marinara sauce will come in handy. I'm going to make some this weekend with my bumper crop of tomatoes - thanks for sharing!!
Leigh Anne @ www.yourhomebasedmom.com
Post a Comment