CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions . . . Ugh!

Sometimes I wish I were just impulsive.  But when it comes to spending a large amount of money I just can't do it.  

The current dilema is a new laptop.  Mine was getting slow and I was thinking in another 6 to 8 months I would start shopping for a new one.  But the laptop took things into its own hands and decided it was done with this life and ready to move on.  How dare it!  If you know me well, you know I'm very attached to my laptop.  It was heaven the day it came into my life and opened up new worlds to me.  I no longer had to sit in the dreary dark spider infested basement to work or surf the Internet.  I could roam the entire house and work.  This was a big deal with small children at home and living in a townhouse.  And with traveling at least twice a year on Pampered Chef business it was wonderful to take it with me and take notes on the laptop.

Friday I came to the conclusion that the hard drive was crashing on me.  THANK HEAVEN for mozy.com  I've been using it for a couple of months now and I'm so glad I don't have to worry about all my documents.  They are sitting somewhere in InternetLand waiting to be restored.  But of course I'm too cheap and just use the free version so I haven't backed up all my pictures.  I'm afraid I've lost most of my pics since January :(

So the shopping and comparing has begun.  Do I spend $500 and just get what I need to get by?  Or do I spend $800 and get something that I think will hold up a little more?  I know too much about computers to even think the $300 ones will make do for me.  Where oh where is the best deal out there?  Any suggestions?  The one I'm currently looking at is at Costco and will be on sale in another two weeks and I can get an extra $100 off it then.  Can I live two weeks with getting by on the kids computer?  Can John live two weeks of me using his computer all the time?  I want one that is light.  I take it with me to shows and whenever I travel and my current one is too heavy.  So will a 14" screen be okay or will it drive me crazy after having a 15.4" screen?  When did they come out with 16" screens?  Will that fit in my current laptop bag?  And a 17" screen is out of the question.

I'm open to any suggestions.  But I'm sure I better stay away from my cousin, Rus, because he will try and convince me to go with an Apple and spend twice the amount I'm thinking of ;)

T0 my Facebook friends, I'm not ignoring you.  I can't get on FB from the kids computer because of the safety software we have installed.  I'll be back up and running soon and will chat with you again!

11 comments:

Julie Baldwin said...

I would suggest getting a refurbished macbook. I love it. It was one of my best purchases ever. I have never had a single problem with it.
If you have computer questions Devin is great to let you know what is good.

William Noetling said...

I'm also going to recommend the MacBook - the one I have is now even better brand new - just ask your Mom!

Anyway, here's a good link:

http://macbookmart.com/white-macbooks/

ANY of those are great buys - AND even better, you can set it up to run any windows programs you might need.

Derico Photography said...

MAC'S are EVIL!!! But that's my personal opinion. My hubby recommends "Asus" if you want lots of power, space, and something to do the dishes while you're at it all for a very reasonable price. We've had good experience with Costco computers too, and they are really good with returns or service.

db said...

Chalk one more up for the MacBook. Here's why.

I noticed that you mentioned in your post that your old laptop slowed down, then the hard drive crashed. Here's why Windows machines slow down: All of the system variables (system preferences, program preferences, program installation information, saved passwords, internet settings, etc) get saved into the Windows registry. (if you want to view all the registry items, open up the Run.. dialog box and type "regedit," then enter) Over time, simply by using your computer, the registry fills up with unnecessary information. Every time a program retrieves your preferences, like when you first open a program, it has to scan through the registry to find all the data. Since an older computer has a large registry, it takes more time to find the information, and your computer runs slower.

Macs don't have a registry. They create hidden files for preferences. The result is that the Mac doesn't slow down over time.

Reason #1: Macs don't slow down over timeI also noticed that you mentioned that you didn't want to buy a Mac for Mac prices. I'll admit. They are a bit more expensive than Windows machines. However, Macs are built with higher quality parts. If you were really comparing Macs with the comparable Windows machines, you'll find that they really are about equal in price. I know, the cheapest MacBook is still more expensive than the cheapest Windows computer. But, since it is built with higher-quality parts, it will last longer. It won't break down as often, and it won't become outdated as quickly as the cheaper Windows computer.

Oh, and to help you with the cost, I recommend purchasing a refurbished laptop. We got Julie a refurbished. It didn't have a scratch on it. They are just like new.

Reason #2: More expensive = lasts longerMacs are also much more intuitive. The applications are built with the user in mind (I can't say the same for many Windows apps). I'm sure you've used a Mac here and there, but if you really want to test drive one, let me know.

Oh, and Macs have the multi-touch gesture track pad. Think of it as a Windows touch pad on steroids. Really really good steroids.

Reason #3: You'll love using it.Your Windows documents should all work on a Mac (email me if you want to make sure). Macs work with your digital camera, printer, wireless router, etc. Oh, and Macs are Mozy compatible :).

Reason #4: No need to migrate dataI'll be honest with you. The hardest thing about buying a Mac is getting used to it. It takes about a month. You do have some kind neighbors who would love to answer any "I know how to do this on windows, but how do you do it in a Mac" questions.

Do me a favor. If I haven't talked you into it yet, call me up, and at least talk with me about it. I have found that a strong majority of people who have switched to a Mac have been pleased. Those who don't buy a Mac after my recommendations tell me a year later that they wished they would have taken my advice.

db said...

Oh, and one more thing. Applications for the Mac are actually cheaper. Microsoft Office will run you $300. iWork, the Apple alternative, costs $80.

Also, iLife, which comes with every Mac, is a fantastic suite for organizing photos, music, editing video and music. While there are free Windows alternatives for organizing photos (Google Picasa) and music (iTunes), No free windows app comes close to the simplicity of iMovie, the video editing app.

Reason #5: Apps are cheaperIf you ever want to edit videos, Reason #6: iLife

Rus said...

No need to convince you. DB beat me to the punch :-).

Lori said...

oh you would love a mac!!!!!!!!!!! soooooo fun! and no viruses!!!!!!!!

Christine said...

Thank you Megan for being a fellow Mac hater with me. In fact I've borrowed my Mom's MacBook this week and I'm using it now and it is driving me crazy. And she let me borrow it because she uses it less than her PC laptop. I grew up in the PC World and I'm not ready to change!

db said...

What specifically do you not like about it?

Laura said...

I'm afraid I'm in the Mac camp, and I have one of each (PC and Mac). It's a bit of a transition at first, but once you give your soul over to Mac, you'll wonder why it took you so long to make the switch.

But good luck with whatever you choose. I hate computer problems!

Megan said...

Your Rus comment was hilarious. As I frequently remind him-- he is a technology snob.