Every year on this day I shed a few tears. The days of crying every day because he is gone are long past. But today I remember. I also wonder. I wonder what my life would have been like if he had not died. But I know everything happens for a reason. I know I am the woman I am today because I watched a young independent woman raise four children alone.
This year brings new significance in my life. This year, I'm the age my father was when he died. I've now lived more time on this earth than my father lived. To a 13 year old 41 seemed old. Now I realize just how short his life was on this earth. I realize just how unfair life can be some times. But again, I know everything happens for a reason and he was needed beyond the veil for greater purposes. I know if I continue to live my life like I have I will be able to return and live with him again someday. I just hope that someday is not too soon.
I wish I remembered more about him. I remember him as a tall handsome man. He loved playing tennis and enjoyed jogging. He was an entrepreneur. He worked for JBL for years. Now a days they are well known for their speakers and home audio. Back then not a lot of people knew the company. When I would share at school where he worked the teachers all assumed I was saying it wrong and he worked for JPL (Jet Propulsion Laboratory) because we lived near there and everyone know what that was.
He left JBL to start his own company, Quantum Audio Labs. He made these
Sound Boards for recording studios. I just did a Google search on them and apparently they are a collectors items now for sound geeks. We spent HOURS at the business in Glendale, CA (near LA). Inventory was always the funnest. All those little knobs were big compared to some of the parts we would have to count.He left JBL to start his own company, Quantum Audio Labs. He made these
He loved a good road trip. Here we are! Grandma Pritchett, Dad, me and Kim. I think we are in Seattle. Or maybe we are on the Queen Mary. He was usually the one behind the camera taking the pictures.
And he loved to camp. I have to post this picture just to remember that tent and the station wagon. I remember setting up that tent many times late at night in the dark. For you who know me well, you know camping is no longer one of my favorite things. Probably because of all those late nights. In the picture is Mom, Melissa in the stroller, Kim and me.
He knew how to work hard. Here he is on Great Uncle Jay's ranch splitting wood.
He upheld his Priesthood and blessed us as a family because of it. This is Kim and Dad right before her baptism. I was often his Home Teaching Companion and gained a testimony of Home and Visiting Teaching because of him.
He loved his Mustang. And I'm not sure Kim has ever forgiven my mom for selling it after he died. I hear it is worth a lot more now than it was then.
He was not afraid of heights, and liked to scare Mom. I remember her being nervous about us all standing out on this ledge at the Grand Canyon (I think). Melissa is the baby in his arms.
We are at Grandma Pritchett's in Provo for Christmas one year. And last I checked the house was still green. He loved the sweater he is wearing. A member on his mission knitted it for him. He served in the Toronto Canada mission and his mission president was the young Thomas S Monson . I wish he were alive just to tell us of the stories from his mission. I'm sure they are amazing. Thomas S Monson is now the Prophet of our church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
This was the 70s, but really, what was he thinking mixing those two plaids. Even scarrier, I think my Mom sewed him that suit.
For those who are still reading, thank you for walking down memory lane with me today. I wanted to document my thoughts and feelings for my children to read some day.
Dad, I love you and miss you! Thank You for being the wonderful man you were.









17 comments:
Christine, that is so sweet. I am grateful I had my dad until he was 57. I can't imagine only being 13. What a tribute to your mother on raising such a great daughter. XO
Christine--that was sweet and tender and made me cry too. I'm so glad you would share all of that. I'm sure your dad is smiling down from up there too.
That was a wonderful tribute to your father! I've never seen pictures of him before but I think you look a female version of him.
Oh Christine. I am so sorry for your loss. It was kind of you to share your memories.
Christine,
I'm sorry that today holds such painful memories for you. I want to reach out and give you a hug.
I'm glad to know that I'm not the only girl in the world who lost her dad at 13 ... it is nice to have friends who really know what it is like to still hurt years and years later. So much of what you said is exactly how I feel. Thanks for sharing.
Christine, I am so sorry. But what a sweet tribute to your amazing father. I miss my dad too a lot of the times. Sometimes i want him to bring me into his arms and give me a hug and say everything will be okay. I miss that. He has been gone for 16 years now. I understand how you miss your sweet dad.
Your life is a testament to him--I'm sure he is proud of you and I can't even begin to imagine how much you miss him. Your sweet words touched my heart and I'm sure your kids will love reading them one day too.
Thanks for sharing your memories. I cannot imagine what my life would have been like without my dad, he was my best friend.
I am sure that he is looking out for you :)
You are so great. I loved how you mentioned that his passing has made you into the person you are. It takes a strong person to have that kind of perspective. I can't imagine all that your mother went through- raising her young family alone. Trials make us strong... but sometimes it takes a while to see it.
Thanks for the fun visits today... you are so fun!
As your older sister, thanks for sharing our story. Those pictures, thoughts, and memories are still fresh but mostly hidden at the back of my mind during a crazy hecktick life. Like you, I've now out lived Dad and know that he still loves us and is waiting for our return. If Brent ever gets rid of that sweater I'll kill him, and yes Mom is still on the hit list for selling the Mustang (1966, BLue, manual shift, am radio, light blue interior, touchy clutch, soooo many trips to Las Vegas to Visit Mauna Sue and Roger Hunt and fam in the night with nooo airconditioning!) I can thank that car for teaching me how to drive any manual shift vehicle and not stripping out the gears! Dad taught us independence both while here on earth and since he left, but his greatest lesson was to love being together as family! Love you lots and thanks again for always remebering. Love, Kim
Thank you for sharing your tender memories and thoughts with us. You help all of us to be better people. Thanks!
Thanks for posting that Christine. I really enjoyed reading that - it definitely makes you grateful for the gospel.
Christine, thank you for that! Brent knows so little of his father since he was so young! It's nice to get to know him a little better! I can see from the photos where Brent gets his posture! LOL! He sounds like he was a really fun and talentes man. He liked a lot of the things my family likes, especially the camping! Thanks again!
Thank you for the stories and specially the pictures! I won't tell Kim but I never had that sweater. And its to bad as it might come into style someday! :-)
I can't wait to meet him again someday, and hopefully I will make him proud. I love you sister and we need to share more stories about dad when we are all together.
I love this post. Thanks for sharing with us. How neat that his mission President was President Monson. My Bishop growing up also had President Monson as his mission president.
Christine,
Thanks for sharing your blog with me. I loved this post. I can relate. I lost my mom when I was nine.
I too believe I am who I am because of my life experiences.
Thanks again
Jeannie
Post a Comment