CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, November 14, 2008

Breakfast of Champions

I know Breakfast is supposed to be the most important meal of the day.  But it is the meal I dread the most.  I enjoy cooking and we all know I love eating.  But I HATE coming up with new ideas for Breakfast.  I feel like I feed my kids the same food over and over again.  And finding a healthy breakfast they will eat is even more challenging.  So here is a list of our family's standard breakfasts:

  • Pancakes
  • Waffles
  • French Toast
  • Cold Cereal (And they get the good stuff and they still don't enjoy it very much)
  • Cinnamon Toast
  • Breakfast Burrito
  • Yogurt (if the moon is aligned properly and I've bought the correct flavor)
I'd like them to eat oatmeal, but they won't even touch the sugared down versions.  In the past bagels have been a good stand by, but we haven't had them in awhile.  So I got them yesterday and you would think I was force feeding them liver and onions this morning (and trust me, my mother forced fed me enough of that growing up!  No amount of catsup can mask that awful flavor)

So does anyone have some good, fast and healthy breakfast options I'm missing?  I'm tired of the same thing every morning.

11 comments:

Lori said...

Sorry I don't have any they would appreciate...but i wanted to say hi! So "hi" from me!

Lisa said...

WOW! I haven't actually visited your blog for a while (courtesy of G-reader) Looks great! You're such a good mom, my kids would love to eat breakfast at your house. I only offer them limited non-sugary cereals and sometimes instant oatmeal. I only like to get up early to run, not to make breakfast!

You're list looks fantastic, I would maybe just suggest trying different recipes for pancakes, waffles and french toast. There are one eyed monsters or PB&J waffle sandwiches though. You're so well planned you could probably throw together a breakfast casserole (bread, eggs, sausage, etc) for the morning too :)

Lisa said...

Oh, my kids get eggs with onions and bacon pieces too!

Becca said...

I'm with Lisa--I get up to run, not to cook breakfast. I am really looking forward to later church so that I can go back to making breakfast at least once a week. Here are a couple of thoughts- I have a great recipe for sour cream pancakes that are fabalous with or without blueberries in them. We also like muffins, fresh fruit, cream of wheat, and I love cracked wheat (but I've never fed it to my kids). I feel your pain friend, but mine is currenly with lunches! Good luck!

Eden said...

Well, here are some thoughts. They may not be quite your kids' speed but maybe they can spark some ideas for you.
--omelettes w/ veggies and topped with salsa and avocado too
--yogurt parfait with granola and fresh fruit (like blueberries, raspberries)
--my super-fast smoothie paired with hard-boiled eggs
--veggie frittata muffins (veggie, eggs, turkey sausage cooked in muffin tins)
--steel cut oatsl w/ baked apples, cinnamon, toasted almonds and honey
--whole wheat toast w/ almond butter and honey

I wish you the best. One thing though that I didn't figure out until I was an adult was that if I don't get some good protein in the morning I was be lightheaded and starving by noon. As a result, I spent most of high school with a headache in the mornings and thinking something was wrong with me. So, throw in some good protein in there and they might think better like I did.

cathy said...

This is what works at my house most frantic mornings-Smoothies!
Vanilla yogurt
milk
frozen berries and frozen bananas
orange juice
Blend and serve with toast as you run out the door.

I also add a scoop of vanilla protein powder to mine, (I buy mine at Walmart) it really helps to hold me over all morning until lunch.

Anderson's said...

boil potatoes and eggs. slice them up. add cooked sausage or bacon your choice. add cheese and mix. pour country gravy or white sauce what ever you call it. bake at about 350 until bubbling

biscuits and gravy is good and you could also do corn muffins and gravy. those are favorites in our house.

Anonymous said...

Our latest kick is Pumpkin Waffles (or pancakes) with Orange Walnut Butter. Oh, my! So yummy! You can make the batter the night before and save time in the morning. Also, Quaker Honey Nut Oatmeal and toast is our other staple quick breakfast.

Pumpkin Waffle Recipe (Makes Four):
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
2 tablespoons butter, melted

In Small Batter Bowl :>), combine dry ingredients. In small Stainless Steel bowl, combine eggs, milk, pumpkin, butter; stir into dry ingredients just until combined. Bake in preheated waffle iron OR 8" Saute Pan (Executive Cookware).

Orange Walnut Butter
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon grated orange peel

In Prep Bowl, combine butter and walnut. Using the Microplane Adjustable Grater and one orange, grate orange. Add peel to butter mix. Spread onto pancake/waffle. WaaLaa! Heaven!

Tina said...

Kashi Go lean Crunch sprinkled on Light yogart, yum! I'm so hungry right now too.

Anonymous said...

Christine, you are so nice/patient.. If Jacee is lucky I take the time to let her eat a bowl of cereal at home instead of having the sitter feed her breakfast! (the sitter feeds her well, tho);)
Jacee loves fresh fruit or canned tropical salad or pineapple.
She also likes toast with butter and homemade jam. (sometime peanut butter too)
How about boiled eggs. The kids can hold them in their hand and eat them easily without a fuss.
As long as they go to school with food in their bellies, I think they will be happy and healthy.
p.s. I am seeing Twilight tonight at 6:30, hope I get in because it is a special night for Paige's work and I think it will be packed. Love ya tonz, Carole

Megan said...

I keep telling my kids we'll get on a breakfast routine soon. Loved the comments. Our staples are eggs and toast and whole wheat muffins.