Okay, my house is normally pretty clean despite the fact I don't enjoy cleaning. I have a wonderful husband that does not like clutter. And when he decides to clean it is like a tornado going through the house. But that doesn't happen on a regular basis. So we keep things picked up and straightened, but as far as vacuuming, mopping and dusting go it usually only happens when we know someone is coming over. Just so happens that somehow we planned two events back to back this weekend. So after getting the kids from school it is cleaning time.
My first mistake is assuming the kids actually know how to clean and will do it. I know I should teach them better. Growing up we always had a list of chores Saturday morning to do. But since most of our Saturdays are taken up with going to Santaquin to visit Grandma and Grandpa Peterson my kids don't have normal Saturday chores. So I send Jessica downstairs in charge of vacuuming and Ashley and John in charge of picking up everything off the floor for her. Jessica has to call them back downstairs twice before everything is really picked up. I hear the vacuum going, so I know something got done. So when she is finished I go down and wonder if she really vacuumed but decide most people won't see the basement so I'm not going to be too picky. I revacuum the family room and then do the stairs.
John is the main person who uses the hall bathroom. And if I let him, he would be more than happy to clean it. I'd just be afraid he would use spit to clean off the toilet and say he was done. So I tackle the hall bathroom. Tell me how the walls got so dirty??? Six months ago when we bought this house we painted every wall in the house. So I know I can't blame it on the person before me. It is really our dirt. Thank you for the invention of Lysol Wipes. Love cleaning the toilet and then just throwing them in the trash, yea!! My suggestion is not to use white white paint in the bathroom. Then it is not so obvious when there are spots on the wall.
Next comes the dusting. I know exactly when I dusted the bedroom last. After laying in bed for a week sick with bronchitis the first thing I did when I had strength was to dust the bedroom. And that was exactly two weeks ago. I always assumed we had so much dust in the townhouse because we were so close to 800 North. Can't blame that anymore. So after only two weeks there has accumulated enough dust on the cherry wood furniture that some child has drawn a spider in it next to the TV, ugh.
On to vacuuming the main floor. The after vacuuming 3 rooms and the hall I check to make sure the bag is not full because it just doesn't seem to be picking up well. I just changed the belt a week ago. So I continue to vacuum. Half way through the living room, as I'm sweating because of vacuuming I look and what do you know, the belt has broken. Sorry Jessica, I guess you really did try to vacuum the basement.
Last but not least comes the kitchen floor. Love having tile floors so it doesn't matter when the kids spill water. But whoever put in light color tile I would like to strangle. I know I cleaned the floor really well a week ago and it has had several touch ups since. But you would never know. So I'm now sitting at the computer waiting for the tile to dry.
Can you tell I really don't enjoy cleaning. I like everything clean, maybe someday I'll have someone to clean it for me.
Well, I have an hour before our guests for this evening will be arriving, so I guess I'd better go get some food ready. Lets hope it stays clean for the party on Saturday!
2 weeks ago

3 comments:
I know the feeling-cleaning is never anywhere near the top of my list of things I'd like to do and always at the top of the ones I have to do. ARRG!
It's a never-ending battle. I think that's why we have parties now and then, so we are forced to really dig in and clean.
Absolutely cracked me up, when you said you painted the house when you moved in so you knew all the dirt on the walls was from your family. I can't wait until they invent a SELF-CLEANING house.
Glad to see you blogging.
Post a Comment